RE: Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?

Subject: RE: Re: [xsl] Future of XSL Stylesheet Writing?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 14:19:22 +0100
>prevalent ... where will XQuery go, where will SAX go, and where will
>DOM go?  These are all pull-oriented and single process based.  What
>other XML processing paradigm is as well designed for parellelized
>implementation as the XSLT push model of apply-templates and template
>matches?

I don't think there's a significant difference between XQuery and XSLT here.
Both are declarative and both can be compiled to either a pull or a push
model internally. If anything, XQuery has a bit of an advantage; because
there's no dynamic despatch of functions/templates, it's more amenable to
static analysis, and therefore to radical rearrangement by the compiler.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/