Re: [xsl] xml to xml issue in XSLT2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] xml to xml issue in XSLT2.0
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 07:33:18 -0500
At 2007-11-20 11:34 +0000, Colin Adams wrote:
I would think that a private code point would be an ideal separator.

I'm increasingly using private characters as serialization surrogates. And while they might be less likely used for the text of Western European transmissions, I have not assessed their likelihood for being used in ideographic scripts as placeholders for non-existent characters, such as people's names. Yes, their semantics are not internationally standardized (other than being for private use), but two Asian trading partners may very well be choosing to use them privately.

As I explained about the normalization of line-ending sequences, I've long thought that the character reference &#xd; to be a very safe choice for an XML character unlikely to be found in XML source documents.

--
Comprehensive in-depth XSLT2/XSL-FO1.1 classes: Austin TX,Jan-2008