Re: [xsl] xml to xml issue in XSLT2.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] xml to xml issue in XSLT2.0
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:22:10 +0000
On Tue, Nov 20 2007 12:33:18 +0000, gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 2007-11-20 11:34 +0000, Colin Adams wrote:
>>I would think that a private code point would be an ideal separator.
>
> I'm increasingly using private characters as serialization surrogates.

In terms of personal favourites, I tend to use U+FFFC, OBJECT
REPLACEMENT CHARACTER, and U+FFFD, REPLACEMENT CHARACTER, for single
uses because they're easy to recognise.

There's also the range U+FDD0 to U+FDEF that are permanenty
noncharacters but which are allowed in XML (unlike U+FFFE, U+FFFF,
etc.).

The Unicode Standard, Version 5.0, page 549 [1], states:

   In effect, noncharacters can be thought of as application-internal
   private-use code points.

XML 1.0 (Fourth Edition) [2] discourages document authors from using
that range of code points, but as they're noncharacters, you're unlikely
to see them irrespective of whether document authors have kept up with
notes added in successive XML 1.0 editions.

Regards,

Tony Graham.
Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.menteithconsulting.com

Menteith Consulting Ltd             Registered in Ireland - No. 428599
Menteith Consulting -- Understanding how markup works

[1] http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch16.pdf
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#charsets