Re: [xsl] Help to construct a loop

Subject: Re: [xsl] Help to construct a loop
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 22:09:27 +0100
Hi Henry,

Without seeing your source and how your $myString is formed, this is rather hard to answer. Nor have you told us what XSLT version you have. In XSLT 1.0, dissecting a string is done using a recursive template ("saving" to a variable is not possible in XSLT). In XSLT 2.0, dissecting a string is much easier, i.e. by using tokenize(), replace() or xsl:analyze-string. Some XSLT 1.0 processors however allow the use of the EXSLT extensions, see http://exslt.org for how to use them.

Note that XSLT is a declarative language which makes "traditional" approaches (while loop, assigning to a variable) not possible. If the string you've put into $myString comes from nodes (elements, attributes etc), it is probably easier to construct the output you want during the process, instead of after the $myString construction (in fact, constructing how the output should look like is all you do with XSLT, in general).

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma

henry human wrote:
Hi I will to build a loop (for-each or while, etc)
I have a long string saved in a variable myString:
myString= foo ffd : ppp ttt foo : 3mmm foo

  In this sample there are three substrings separated
by a colon token
  How could it be done, looking over the myString in a
loop and f. i.
 save the substring in a variable named buf1  until
all three substrings
 has been read  ?
  I will be very glad for any hint
  Regards