Re: [xsl] The identity transform and attributes

Subject: Re: [xsl] The identity transform and attributes
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:41:29 +0100
David Carlisle wrote:
And an attribute's self:: axis would naturally be an attribute axis, which cannot hold.

ah, but it does hold, see my reply to Andrew.

David

yes, you're right, I only read your message after I sent mine... I could've learned something of yours ;)

Michael Kay wrote:
Again, I don't know why the self axis isn't available for attribute nodes... any ideas?

The self axis is available for attribute nodes. But the principal node kind of the self axis is "element", so self:xxx means self::element(xxx) and self::* means self::element(*). In 2.0 you can write

self::attribute(xxx)

This explains why I was "feeling" that self:: only works with element names. Because I only scarcely use the elaborate syntax.
But, if we have @foo standing for attribute::foo and attribute(foo), why can I not do self::@foo?

But (2nd) I am glad there's a way to express it directly on the self-axis.

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma