RE: [xsl] xsl:import performance problems

Subject: RE: [xsl] xsl:import performance problems
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:55:21 -0000
> To satisfy my curiosity, is there a reason why a processor
> would not speed up this case by using the stylesheet already loaded?

It could certainly be done in principle. But it would require some
reorganization of data structures to cope with the fact that the "same"
template (variable etc) can exist with several different import precedences.
As far as I can see, import precedence is the only thing that would vary
between different instances of the module. There might also be some
complications for apply-imports and next-match.

To be honest, compile-time performance in Saxon has never received an
enormous amount of attention, simply because there always seem to be more
important things to do.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/