Re: [xsl] fo:block affects layout on previous page (remove column separators)

Subject: Re: [xsl] fo:block affects layout on previous page (remove column separators)
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 15:55:08 +0100
On Thu, May 15 2008 12:27:26 +0100, per.toyra@xxxxxx wrote:
> I'm creating a three column layout with column separators in the
> gutter. This is achived with one background image on
> region-body`. This works as intended on all pages but creates problems
> on pages with page-wide objects (span=all) which do not cover the
> whole page.  In my case, I  have a lot of  page-wide tables with
> footnotes.
> In my world, a element shouldn't be able to affect the layout on a
> a better solution to the problem I'd be thrilled to hear about it!

It's hard to say what to expect without seeing a fragment at least of
your FO.  Is there a fo:block or some other element that contains both
the last table and the following fo:block?

Provided it satisfies the constraints in the XSL spec, how the formatter
implements the spec is up to its implementer.  If you find a bug in the
implementation, then you can take it up with the vendor.  If you find a
bug in the spec, then you can report it at xsl-editors@xxxxxxx  If
there's something you want to see in the next version of XSL, you can
check the requirements document at http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20-req/ and
provide feedback.

> What I really want is the column separators in the gutter to disappear
> between the table and footnote if there isn't any column-wide content
> in this area. Is this possible to achive?
>
> Btw, I'm using Antennahouse XSLFormatter 4.2.

Antenna House has extensions [1] for column rules that may do just what
you want.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.antennahouse.com/xslfo/axf4-extension.htm#column-rule