Re: [xsl] Profiling templates

Subject: Re: [xsl] Profiling templates
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 14:50:09 +0100
On Thu, May 22 2008 14:08:54 +0100, peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a lot of data and some stylesheets which have /evolved/ over
> time. I suspect that the quite a bit of the code is not ever being
> executed, is there some way of finding the parts of the stylesheet that
> is never accessed other than embeding xsl:message everywhere?

AFAICT, the available XSLT profilers will at best tell you what
templates have been used, not what templates haven't been used.  The
ones that just report which templates have been used won't help you, for
example, to work out which parts of a xsl:choose haven't been exercised.

I know of one work-in-progress to make a XSLT coverage tool, but I don't
when or if that will be cooked enough to be made public.

If you also have your input and output schema, you may get some joy from
the XSLV static validation tool at http://www.brics.dk/XSLV/.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2