RE: [xsl] XQuery basics

Subject: RE: [xsl] XQuery basics
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 21:18:56 +0100
> The goal is for XSLT to be the server side language in an
> end-to-end XML architecure.  XSLT is the layer that generates
> the markup (the PHP layer in wamp) and XQuery would be the
> MySQL layer.
>
> "All" that's needed is a specification for the main template
> and a way of passing in parameters - say "main" for the
> initial template and the query string for the params... and
> perhaps a suitable acronym like WAXX to promote it (windows,
> apache, xquery, xslt  (or eXist, saXon for those last two))
>
> You can already code full sites using eXist, but personally I
> would prefer to use XSLT to generate the markup and leave
> data access to xquery.

I would recommend capturing the user input using XForms, and then using XSLT
to take the XForms instance as input and generate (or parameterize) the
XQuery as output. Then you can string the whole lot together using something
like Orbeon, which provides both an XForms processor and an XProc-like
pipeline processing language.

You can also, of course, do another XSLT transformation to process the
XQuery results into the XHTML (perhaps with embedded XForms for the next
interaction) that you want to display back to the user.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/