[xsl] FO Table widths - table-layout fixed behaviour and use

Subject: [xsl] FO Table widths - table-layout fixed behaviour and use
From: "Karl Stubsjoen" <kstubs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 10:21:36 -0700
I am assuming, that if I set a table's layout to fixed, that the total
width for the table shall reflect the total combined widths of each
table cell, and that it is only necessary to lay down the width for a
table cell in the first row instance.  Hence, the folowing would be
valid and would result in a 5 inch wide table:

<fo:table table-layout="fixed">
<fo:table-body>
  <fo:table-row>
    <fo:table-cell width="2.5in">AAA</fo:table-cell>
    <fo:table-cell width="2.5in">BBB</fo:table-cell>
  </fo:table-row>
  <fo:table-row>
    <fo:table-cell>CCC</fo:table-cell>
    <fo:table-cell>DDD</fo:table-cell>
  </fo:table-row>
</fo:table-body>
</fo:table>

Would this be correct?  So far, I have not had luck with table-layout
fixed tables, all of my tables are just 100% width, and the column
widths do not seem to match my fixed width values consistently (maybe
not at all).  I have also tried the above by laying down table-column
elements with a width.

Thanks for the help,

Karl..