Re: [xsl] XSL - Documentation

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL - Documentation
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:13:28 +0100
> Which is quiet a restriction David
>
> A single pass to strip documentation isn't exactly hard work.
but inconvenient sometines especially for stylesheets like pmathml.sty
that are distributed for _others_ to run client side, as either you need
to distribute both forms, or tell others how to strip.

The restriction is only a restriction on the authoring of the
documentation, not where it appears. With the method I suggested if you
put a (namespaced) id attribute on any element internal to the template
then you can sticka <xhtml:span (or div or p or anything elese)  with a
namedspaced ref attribute and that documentation will be taken as
documenting the xslt instruction with the id, and shown just before that
instruction.

So the only thing you can't directly document using this method is a
literal result element, but that isn't so much of a restriction as you
can always use an emty xsl:text to carry the documenttation.

<xhtml:p>This template matches foo and makes a table</xhtml:p>
<xhtml:span doc:ref="aaa">
this is a literal result element to make a table
</xhtml:span>
<xsl:template match="foo">
<xsl:text doc:id="aaa"/>
<thead>...

</xsl:template>

> , go take a look at some of
> the templates you've written! They need internal documentation :-)

Given my typing, you'll probably find my code is a lot easier to read
than my english:-)

David