[xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"

Subject: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"
From: "Paul Kiel" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:21:45 -0400
Hi Folks,

Had an interesting discussion that I started on a Linkedin group, but should
probably have started here.  I had originally asked the question "can you
sell an XSLT?".  And by that I don't mean is it possible, but would anyone
buy one.  What is the market for XSLTs as products?

The comments clearly indicated that people are willing to (and actually do)
buy XSLTs.  They tend to come in two forms.  First, a specific solution to a
specific task.  A key niche need.  Second, there is the idea of XSLT as a
software platform.  XSLT as programming in Xml.  I've certainly thought this
because I've been working with xml for so long that I *think* in terms of
Xml (perhaps there is a 12 step program for this).  So XSLT to me is the
java of Xml.  Of course no offense to java users, myself being one too.

The reason I brought this up is that while I've been involved in open source
XSLT work as well as created innumerable ones for clients individually, I
have lots of ideas about XSLTs as general products.

 Ken Holman of course highlighted a key component to this topic, which is
obfuscation in order to protect intellectual property.   That would be the
difference between open source and product solutions.

So I post these comments here wondering if you have thoughts on this topic
as well.  Would love to hear them.

Cheers,

Paul Kiel

W. Paul Kiel