RE: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"

Subject: RE: [xsl] linkedin discussion of "can you sell an XSLT?"
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 23:08:57 +0100
> Had an interesting discussion that I started on a Linkedin
> group, but should probably have started here.  I had
> originally asked the question "can you sell an XSLT?".  And
> by that I don't mean is it possible, but would anyone buy
> one.  What is the market for XSLTs as products?

I assume by "XSLTs" you mean stylesheets?

I don't normally hear Java programs referred to as Javas. And perhaps that's
the point. If people buy a program, they buy it for what it does, not for
what language it's written in.

>  Ken Holman of course highlighted a key component to this
> topic, which is obfuscation in order to protect intellectual
> property.

I know at least one user who uses the Saxon ability to compile stylesheets
in order to protect the source code.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/