Re: [xsl] dynamic template invocation

Subject: Re: [xsl] dynamic template invocation
From: Jingjun Long <longjingjun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 23:39:04 +0800
This question reminds me a case of myself.

Once I have requirement to import different XSL files according to
different case like:

<xsl:choose>
    <xsl:when test="$customer='a'">
        <xsl:import href="customerA.xsl"/>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:when test="$customer='b'">
        <xsl:import href="customerB.xsl"/>
    </xsl:when>
    <xsl:otherwise>
        <xsl:import href="default.xsl"/>
    </xsl:when>
</xsl:choose>

This does not work. According to my understanding, <xsl:import> action
is executed first when combinate all xsl into a big XSL and other
instruction like <xsl:choose> does not execute durring this term. They
are evaluated later. (I think I still not so clear here)

Your requirement seems similiar to this. For your command:

<xsl:apply-templates mode="$mode"/>

mode attribute is not evaluated durring the execution. Variable is not
allowed here.

Jingjun.

2009/9/7 ac <ac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you Vyacheslav.
>
> That is a solution.
>
> Shouldn't it be part of the standard and shouldn't it also be available for
> the mode parameter/attribute of <apply-templates/>?
>
> Is that part of proposed changes for XSLT v2.1?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> ac

http://www.saxonica.com/documentation9.2/extensions/instructions/call-templat
e.html

>> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:06 AM, ac<ac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there, or shouldn't there be, a way to invoke templates dynamically as
>>> in:
>>>
>>> <xsl:apply-templates mode="$mode"/> or
>>> <xsl:call-template name="$name"/>
>>>
>>> rather than :
>>> <xsl:choose>
>>>  <xsl:when test="$mode eq 'mode1'"><xsl:apply-templates mode="mode1"/>
>>>  <xsl:when test="$mode eq 'mode2'"><xsl:apply-templates mode="mode2"/>
>>>  <xsl:when test="$mode eq 'mode3'"><xsl:apply-templates mode="mode3"/>
>>> </xsl:choose>
>>> or
>>> <xsl:choose>
>>>  <xsl:when test="$mode eq 'mode1'"><xsl:call-template name="name1"/>
>>>  <xsl:when test="$mode eq 'mode2'"><xsl:call-template name="name2"/>
>>>  <xsl:when test="$mode eq 'mode3'"><xsl:call-template name="name3"/>
>>> </xsl:choose>
>>>
>>> as the <xsl:choose/> seems clumsy, verbose, repetitive, error-prone, and
>>> counter productive,
>>> especially when also passing invocation parameters (<xsl:with-param
>>> .../>) ?
>>>
>>> A sample use case may be letting a user select in which mode she wishes
>>> run a process, payroll for example, in trial, debug, report, post,
>>> archive,
>>> or purge modes.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> ac