RE: [xsl] Seed problem in FXSL randomizeList

Subject: RE: [xsl] Seed problem in FXSL randomizeList
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:14:34 +0100
You seem to be expecting that two pseudo-random sequences starting with
different seeds will have no discernable relationship to each other. That
might be a property of some randomizers, but it is not necessarily a
property of every randomizer, and it appears not to be true of this one. The
best you can expect is that within a random sequence, each number is
unrelated to the previous one. I would suggest that rather than adding 11 to
the seed for your first sequence to get the seed for your second sequence,
you use the first ("primary") seed to get a random set of numbers which you
then use as "secondary" seeds for the subsequent sequences.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay