RE: [xsl] Is a XSLT 2 to 1 transform possible?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Is a XSLT 2 to 1 transform possible?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:35:13 -0000
> Out of curiosity, could a XSLT 1.0 stylesheet be used to
> convert a XSLT 2.0 stylesheet to an equivalent XSLT 1.0 stylesheet?

XSLT 1.0 is Turing-complete so the theoretical answer is yes. (With a
proviso that you would need to call out to extensions to handle a few things
like unparsed-text() and xsl:result-document).

The practical answer, given the number of man-years that I imagine are
available to you, is no. Can you imagine what a regular expression engine
would look like written in XSLT 1.0 code?

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay