Re: [xsl] Benefits of using xsl:key

Subject: Re: [xsl] Benefits of using xsl:key
From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper.tverskov@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 17:30:39 +0100
I have tried to do the same test with the new SAXON HE, PE og EE from
inside Oxygen, and with AltovaXML from inside XMLSpy.

The preceding axis is really stressing the XSLT processor!

For Saxon inside Oxygen, it is interesting that with an xml input file
of only 3000 lines (2000 KB), the optimization option in EE is slower
that using xsl:key in HE, PE and EE, being really fast. I have a
feeling that optimization in EE is not for "preceding axis" problems,
but for "standard" transformations of huge input files?

When I tried to make a longer input file of only 10,000 lines,
transformation is still fast in Oxygen when using xsl:key with any of
the three versions, but without xsl:key transformation seems to be
"looping" for ever, and that is also the case when EE is tested in
optimized mode.

XMLSpy using AltovaXML freezes already when I attempted to transform
the file with only 3000 lines! So I didn't manage to test if xsl:key
could speed things up in XMLSpy.

Cheers,
Jesper