Re: [xsl] Associating javascript with XSL and XML

Subject: Re: [xsl] Associating javascript with XSL and XML
From: Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 13:47:54 -0500
On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 07:45 -0600, Rob Belics wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 14:09 +0100, Martin Honnen wrote:
> > Rob Belics wrote:
> >
> > > Little known factoid: the html, body and head opening and closing
> tags
> > > are all optional.
> >
> > But not in XHTML served as XML.
> >

> Ah, ok, because we have to not let the browser guess at how to layout
> the DOM?

No. Because HTML is based on SGML, with the tag minimization features
enabled that allow OMITTAG.  When we made XML, we explicitly decided
to get rid of OMITTAG and most of the other minimization features,
because of our bad experiences in supporting users with these
features enabled.

So, in XML, all tags must be supplied, the XML parser will not insert
them and deduce that elements were present despite of the lack of
markup. This is not in any way related to DOM.

Liam