Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT
From: "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:23:15 -0700
David Carlisle wrote:

> > Yes, but I want one solution for IE 6+, which means doing the same
> > thing they've done on NAG -- skip the XML Prolog so it won't put IE6
> > into quirks mode.  Except I want the XML Prolog.  You can see the
> > problem for yourself by viewing that link in Opera, which assumes
> > the encoding to be utf-8, as you can see from the "Info" panel.
> > That's hardly my only reason, though.
>
> the encoding specified in the xml declaration is ignored if the xml is
> being served over http: the encoding specified in the http headers
> takes precedence. This is specified in eth XMl Rec. Opera assumes
> those files to be in utf8 because they are. (Actually they are in
> ascii but that comes to the same thing), but had I generated them in
> some other encoding that could have been speciied in the htp headers.
> So I still don't see any evidence of the "problem".

But the default encoding for text/xml is ASCII:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt

Without the plugin you described, IE 6 is displaying a box on your
link, where Opera shows a character.  Since they're both on the same
system, it looks to me like IE 6 is coming up ASCII and Opera is coming
up Unicode, and you have exactly one Unicode character on that page
that isn't ASCII.

-Eric