Re: [xsl] When are <!DOCTYPE> and svg namespace references material?

Subject: Re: [xsl] When are <!DOCTYPE> and svg namespace references material?
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:47:39 +0000
On 4 February 2010 11:07, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Not quite. Since this is XSL that's at issue here:
>
> 1. Validation is irrelevant. XSLT processors don't validate.
>
> 2. DTD resolution is relevant. XSLT processors have to load the
> external DTD to resolve entities and perhaps supply default attribute
> values. The XPath 1.0 data model simply does not support unresolved
> entity references.

XSLT processors don't load the DTD, the XML parser does.  If your xml
contains a doctype the only real options are to supply a
CustomURIResolver or use an XML Catalog to point to a local copy.

> 3. I suppose an XSLT processor might defer loading the DTD until it
> finds an entity reference it needs a definition for. But then how does
> it handle default attribute values for previously processed elements?
> Start over?

XSLT processors don't know about entity references as they are all
resolved by the XML parser... (they aren't part of the XDM)

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com