Re: [xsl] XSL wish list - page column gap/separator line

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSL wish list - page column gap/separator line
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:10:59 +0000
>> Is there a reason why it can't be referred to as "XSL-FO" whenever you
>> mean XSL-FO?
>

> History?
>  Sometime back in ?2001 era, this list was instrumental in parting xslt
from
> (what is now) xsl-fo. Prior to this it was all XSL,
> as defined largely by James Clark.
>
>  After the split, XSLT emerged, XSL-FO kept the XSL
> as the WG name etc.
>
>  I recall complaining as you have, to Max at the W3X, about the confusion
> and xsl-fo was born as a term to separate the two.
>
> I guess XSL is the WG, so it must remain, but XSLT and
> XSL-FO are the two recs in reality.

yeah... in my humble opinion, it just causes confusion.  "XSL" in the
wild is nearly always intended to mean "XSLT", anyone who ever wants
to refer to XSL-FO always uses the "FO" part....

The announcements titled "XSL 2.0" could easily be called "XSL-FO
2.0", then you don't have to explain the history to anyone about the
distinction between "xsl", xslt and xsl-fo.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com