Re: [xsl] character map "range" in XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] character map "range" in XSLT
From: David <dlee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 14:56:53 -0400
Thanks, but I dont see anything in the man page for iconv thats me specify a range of invalid and a substitution string for them.

-------------------------
David A. Lee
dlee@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org

On May 12, 2010, at 1:49 PM, David wrote:

I'm writing a XSLT that has to translate XML to plain ascii text. The XML contains unicode characters, possibly any of them. I cannot control the authoring so I must handle whatever is thrown at me.

I have a few dozen specially know character translations for things like 1/4 and degrees unicode symbols.
But I have a need to "catch all" charactors that are not mapped explicitly (rather then map explicitly the entiure unicode set) and translate them into something like "<UNKNOWN CHARACTER>"

Any suggestions on how to do this ? I could trivially write a post-processor to do this (maybe a dozen lines of C or java) but if there's a feature directly in XSLT I'd love to try that.

Any ideas welcome !

If you choose to do post-processing, no need to write a program: you can use 'iconv' .

-- Steve Majewski