Re: [xsl] xsl:key, predicates and documents.

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:key, predicates and documents.
From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:03:28 +0200
Nic Gibson wrote:
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 02:36:18PM +0100, Andrew Welch wrote:
So, I created keys that look like this:

? ?<xsl:key name="term-key" select="e[@PER='n']" use="@HW"/>
? ?<xsl:key name="person-key" select="e[@PER='y']" use="@SUR"/>
<xsl:template match="eData[@PERS='n']">
? ?<xsl:variable name="exact" select="key('term-key', @HW)"/>
? ?...

</xsl:template>

We know that there are matches yet this doesn't work unless
we remove the predicate from the key definition. Are predicates
usable in key definitions?
It's much harder to help without seeing any input, but I can see a PER
vs PERS difference in the code there... is that it?

Good point but that's just my retyping error. The attribute is @PER. I'm just trying to get some data from its owner

The key function call (with two arguments) finds the indexed nodes in the document the context node belongs to so within your

<xsl:template match="eData[@PERS='n']">

the context node is an "eData" element in your $in-doc document and the key function call key('term-key', @HW) finds nodes in that document. You seem to have two documents and might want to find nodes in the other document so you either need to use the key function call with the third argument (possible in XSLT 2.0) or you need to use an xsl:for-each to change the context to the other document.
In both cases, the way you have set up your stylesheet I think you need
<xsl:variable name="main-root" select="/"/>
as a global variable and then you can use
key('term-key', @HW, $main-root)
in XSLT 2.0 or with XSLT 1.0
<xsl:variable name="hwatt" select="@HW"/>
<xsl:variable name="exact>
<xsl:for-each select="$main-root">
<xsl:value-of select="key('term-key', $hwatt)"/>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:variable>

Does that help? If not then I am afraid you need to show your input documents.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/