RE: [xsl] Re: Dynamic number of sort key component?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Re: Dynamic number of sort key component?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 15:22:24 +0100
Try something like this:

<xsl:function name="f:sort" as="element(row)*">
  <xsl:param name="data" as="element(row)"/>
  <xsl:param name="sortColumnNames" as="xs:string*"/>
  <xsl:param name="sortAscDesc" as="xs:string*"/>
  <xsl:variable name="sorted" as="element(row)">
    <xsl:perform-sort select="$data">
      <xsl:sort select="*[name()=$sortColumnNames[last()]"
                order="{$sortAscDesc[last()]}" stable="yes"/>
    </xsl:perform-sort>
  <xsl:variable>
  <xsl:sequence select="if (count($sortColumnNames) eq 1
                        then $sorted
                        else f:sort($sorted, subsequence($sortColumnNames,
2), subsequence($sortAscDesc, 2))"/>
</xsl:function>

Those with grey hair will recognize this as the multi-phase sort process
used by punched card operators, sorting first by the last sort key, then the
last-but-one, and so on.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/