Re: [xsl] Find the Position Index of Elements‏‏

Subject: Re: [xsl] Find the Position Index of Elements‏‏
From: Alice Wei <elite.english@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 19:15:06 -0400
Hi, Mike:

  I want the position of the position of the searched result. For
example, when I did /music_songs/song[category='Rock'][position()<11],
I get the first 10 songs in the searched list, and I am wondering if
it is possible that I could just find out the position of the
individual xml nodes that get pulled from the search. I would like to
use that number and set it dynamically to set the pagination of
results.

Is this possible?

Alice

Does this make sense?

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 13/06/2010 23:26, Alice Wei wrote:
>>
>> Right, I am not intending to use this in the xsl at all, and I am
>> trying to use this in VB.NET in ASP.
>> I am trying to come up with some way so I can figure out how to
>> extract the position node of the elements from my xml so I can use
>> them to use pagination.
>>
>> I tried David's solution, and somehow that didn't work, it now gives
>> me this error on tokenizer issues, and I am not sure if what I trying
>> to do is even possible at all.
>>

> It seems you want an XPath 1.0 solution and David gave you an XPath 2.0
> solution.
>
> As for me, I don't think you've explained your requirement. You talk about
> wanting the "position index" or the "index id" of the elements you
retrieve,
> but I don't know what these terms mean. Do you want their position in the
> source tree, or their position in the list of retrieved elements?
>
> Michael Kay
> Saxonica
>>
>> Alice
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Philip Fearon<pgfearo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> B wrote:
>>

>>> Though this is the xsl-list, you haven't mentioned XSLT, so this
>>> answer is just in case you wanted an XPath / .NET solution:
>>>
>>> XPath 1.0 as available natively in VB.NET can't return the sequence of
>>> atomic numbers you describe, it can only return a single value or a
>>> nodeset. If, however, you were using VB.NET with an XPath 2.0
>>> processor (such as Saxon.NET) you could simply use:
>>>
>>> for $rocksong in /music_songs/song[category = 'Rock'] return
>>> $rocksong/count(preceding-sibling::song) + 1
>>>
>>> Going back to XPath 1.0: you would first need to iterate through all
>>> the returned song elements returned by your expression and then, using
>>> another expression, evaluate the current song node position relative
>>> to previous song nodes:
>>>
>>> B  B  B  B  B  B count(./preceding-sibling::song)
>>>
>>> I've shown below sample code of how you would use the .NET
>>> XPathNavigator to work with the context node in this case. This sample
>>> is in C# but should be easy enough to convert to VB.Net.
>>>
>>> B  B  B  B  B  B XPathDocument xdoc = new
XPathDocument("c:\\test\\songs.xml");

--
Alice Wei, MIS

Master of Information Science