Re: [xsl] Significant whitespace in attribute values

Subject: Re: [xsl] Significant whitespace in attribute values
From: Martin Honnen <Martin.Honnen@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 12:55:11 +0200
Michael M|ller-Hillebrand wrote:

I maybe tasked with XSL-transforming some XML into a publishable version, but I shuddered as soon as I saw the input (coming from a custom-built Web CMS). It is something like the following with significant line feeds in attribute values:

<items>
 <item name="address" data="
Company Name
Street Address
ZIP City
Country
" />
</items>

I have seen and dealt with line feeds in element content, but this time an alarm clock rang in my head. Am I right in my interpretation of the XML standard that attribute content must be normalized by a conforming XML parser and therefore it would never be possible to write an XSL to locate line feeds in attribute values?

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#AVNormalize

You would need a character reference e.g. &#10; to denote a line break in an attribute value. A literal white space character would be normalized to a space.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://msmvps.com/blogs/martin_honnen/