Re: [xsl] [XSLT 1.0] Avenues for content to enter and exit an XSLT transform?

Subject: Re: [xsl] [XSLT 1.0] Avenues for content to enter and exit an XSLT transform?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:35:30 -0700
> 3. The XML content obtained using the <xsl:input> and <xsl:include>
elements.\

I have never seen <xsl:input> in any XSLT specification. What is this?

> Are there any other avenues for content to enter an XSLT transform?

Any documents or document-fragments passed into global <xsl:param> elements.

in XPath 2.0:

fn:doc()
fn:collection()
fn:unparsed-text()

If these can be considered "content:

fn:current-dateTime()
fn:current-date()
fn:current-time()

In XSLT 2.1:

unparsed-text-lines()

> There are several avenues for content to exit an XSLT transform:
>
> 1. The output document that is specified when the XSLT processor is
invoked.

> 2. The content that is output using extension functions, such as
saxon:output and xalan:write.

> Are there any other avenues for content to exit an XSLT transform?

This question is incorrect. I think what you're asking is:

   "Are there any other ways for an XSLT transformation to produce
useful results?"

And the answer is yes:

the output of any <xsl:message> instruction.

the parameters that the transformation passes to any called extension
function. Some time ago I had the occasion to write a transformation
that didn't produce any output, but was calling extension function and
passing to them the useful results of the transformation.

If this can be considered "content":
the side effects of calling any extension function.

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev