Re: [xsl] Howto follow embedded Xpaths in XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Howto follow embedded Xpaths in XSL
From: Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt <STAMMW@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:38:16 +0200
Daniel,

> If I have XML that is being rendered in a Web Browser I don't have
control
> over the XSL library they use - is there any way to easily get the same
> functionality in firefox / internet explorer etc - As I dont think the
> browsers fully support exslt yet?

as you suspected browsers do not support EXSLT at all or partially only
[1].
Even mozilla does not support the dyn extension package.

But there seems to be a solution for your problem [2].
This works as long as your references are element hierarchies -- but in
your
sample this is the case.
Since this is a pure XSLT 1.0 solution you can use that in the browser with
  <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="yourStylesheet.xsl"?>
in the XML files.

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en/EXSLT
[2]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3015942/retrieving-xml-node-from-a-path-specified-in-an-attribute-value-of-another-node/3017752#3017752

Mit besten Gruessen / Best wishes,

Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt
Developer, XML Compiler, L3
WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliances
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen

Many thanks for the feedback, I have now played with and used the
<dyn:evaluate> function and it all does what I want.
However this only works when I run the XML through a PC based XSL transform
library (libxslt, saxon etc).

If I have XML that is being rendered in a Web Browser I don't have control
over the XSL library they use - is there
any way to easily get the same functionality in firefox / internet explorer
etc - As I dont think the browsers fully support
exslt yet?

Many thanks for the help
Daniel Laird