Re: [xsl] check for whitespace value between nodes

Subject: Re: [xsl] check for whitespace value between nodes
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:37:00 -0700
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Dear Dimitre,
>
> At 04:33 PM 8/20/2010, you wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> > Dear Dimitre,

>> > Of course -- I'm sorry if I wasn't clear that a single space character
>> > would
>> > pass your test. But it doesn't do so exclusively. If "a white space" is
>> > meant to designate *only* a single character, the test (as you know) has
>> > be tighter. And either way, we also get to worry about what that
>> > character
>> > can be. Space, tab, non-breaking space, zero-width space ...
>>
>> The question said "white space". Not "white space character".
>
> I read "a white space". The use of the indefinite article might suggest a
> singular "space".
>
>> Also in your message you were describing the solution to your "first case"
>> as:
>>
>> "For the first definition, one might want
>>
>> B translate(product/text(),'&#xA;&#x9;',' ')=' ' B "
>>
>> So, it seems that your "first case" defines whitespace as containing
>> one or more newline and tab characters. There is nothing in your
>> proposed XPath expression that restricts the test for "*only* a single
>> character".
>
> I think the other side of the equality operation does that, doesn't it? :-)

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here. The translate() function
above removes *all* NL and tab characters and its result is compared
to the empty string. This comparison is true for any string which is
either the empty string or otherwise consists of one or more NL or tab
characters. The result is the same (true) regardless whether the
string consists of only one {NL/tab} character or of many such
characters.

B mailto:wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
B http://www.mulberrytech.com
> 17 West Jefferson Street B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B Direct Phone:
301/315-9635
> Suite 207 B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B
B Phone: 301/315-9631
> Rockville, MD B 20850 B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  B  Fax:
301/315-8285
> B Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev
Never fight an inanimate object
you're doing is work or play
I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without
a messy bloodbath.