Re: [xsl] Need StringBuffer equivalent in xslt

Subject: Re: [xsl] Need StringBuffer equivalent in xslt
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:46:08 +0100
On 29/09/2010 13:26, sudheshna iyer wrote:
> Team,
>
> This is what i need:
>
> I have 10 fields for which I have to check the length and if length is> required length, I have to trucate those fields.
> In that process, I have to maintain a field containing list of all fields that got truncated with original values to report back to
> calling program.
>
> I used to have a StringBuffer in java during each condition to append all fields that got truncated with original values. I need the similar functionality.
>
> Thank you.

In a declarative program you should aim to describe your output in terms of the input, not in terms of the processing steps used earlier.

So here you want to output two things, a list of strings all truncated to at most $n, and a list of strings that were longer than $n, so if $strings is your sequence of strings and $n is the limit on length

result:
<xsl:value-of select="for $s in $strings return substring($s,1,$n)"/>

these were truncated:
<xsl:value-of select="$strings[string-length(.) gt $n]"/>

David

________________________________________________________________________ The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is: Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR, United Kingdom.