Re: [xsl] optimization of complex XPath

Subject: Re: [xsl] optimization of complex XPath
From: Graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:31:44 -0500
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:38:40AM +0100, Wolfgang Laun scripsit:
> On 19 November 2010 11:19, Graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I am reluctant to approach the problem with xsl:key because I have about
> > 90,000 individual files in a complex directory structure and I would
> > need a key over all of them, rather than each of them.
> >
> > Since far as I know -- and happy to be wrong! -- I can't declare a key
> > over a collection, so this approach would require concatenating all of
> > the files together.  Which is certainly doable but also inherently
> > sluggish.
> >

> So the initially posted loop will have to be extended to iterate over
> 90,000 files...?

Yes.

And, when there's more content, to check some specific sequence of areas
over a larger number of files.

Right now, I'm doing that via XQuery in eXist, since while it is in
principle simple to extend that loop to operate on a collection I'm
pretty sure that will slam into resource limits somewhere.  That might
be the better problem to solve; one of the reasons for asking the
question (along with the hope that there's an easy way I just don't know
about :) was to get advice about which problem to solve.

-- Graydon