[xsl] Re: xslt 3.0 possible feature - some sort of collection to help when streaming

Subject: [xsl] Re: xslt 3.0 possible feature - some sort of collection to help when streaming
From: "Vladimir Nesterovsky" <vladimir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:01:19 +0200
xsl:iterate works but it's limited to a single level of iteration, as
this way one cannot easily collect output from nested transformations.

Yes, that's correct. The use case for a single recursive tree walk of the input that delivers multiple results was one that the WG found particularly taxing; we tried many different design approaches. The solution currently in the spec (but not yet implemented) is xsl:fork, which essentially allows you to do several traversals of the input tree "in parallel", each delivering a separate result.

I don't quite understand how xsl:fork is going to work in this case.
From the output perspective isn't it opaque whether xsl:fork is used?
Will it be possible to store multiple intermediate outputs in variables for further processing?
--
Vladimir Nesterovsky
http://www.nesterovsky-bros.com/