Re: [xsl] A problem with concat()

Subject: Re: [xsl] A problem with concat()
From: Bridger Dyson-Smith <bdysonsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 15:18:42 -0400
On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 2:50 PM, G. Ken Holman
<gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Have you considered using the following?
>
>   string-join( sequence, separator )
>
> as in (note the parens):
>
>   <xsl:value-of select="string-join( (mods:namePart[@type='family'],
>                                       mods:namePart[@type='given'],
>                                       mods:namePart[@type='date']), ', '
> )"/>

Hi Ken, thanks for the response. I tried string-join, but the results
are the same -- the output looks like this:
<dc:creator>Thompson James Edward 1880-1976</dc:creator>

> I haven't pulled down your code (because of my time constraints), but a
> couple of comments of the conventions in your example that jumped out at
me:

>   1) select="x" is the same as select="./x"
>   2) test="@type='personal'" is the same as test=".[@type='personal']"
>
> What you typed isn't wrong, but it isn't typical.  I think what I've
> suggested to you is more conventional syntax.
>
> I hope this helps.  Just a couple of quick notes.

I really appreciate the suggestions - I'm trying to learn from
different books, many of which suggest a number of ways to abbreviate
different things (I mean, the books all similarly describe the
different possible abbreviations). I think of this as me stumbling
along with long division and watching the experts (people like you)
blow by me using short division. It's something I need to work on.
Thanks again!

Cheers,
Bridger