Re: [xsl] Getting previous node in nodeset

Subject: Re: [xsl] Getting previous node in nodeset
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 08:24:10 +0100
On 22/04/2011 02:28, Steve Fogel wrote:
Hi, all...

Would appreciate a suggestion:

If:

- I have a node set in the variable $nodelist
- and I have a single node in the variable $mynode
- and the node in $mynode is a member of $nodelist

then in XSLT 2.0, how do I set a variable to contain the node that is previous to $mynode in $nodelist?

For simplicity and a quick answer, you can assume that all nodes in $nodelist are siblings, but in reality, $nodelist contains<topicref>s from a DITA map, so the previous node could be a sibling, a parent, or the child of the previous sibling.

Many thanks

nodesets are an xpath1 data type not in xpath2, which is relevant to your question as being sets their items are not ordered.

Xpath2 datatype is sequence which is an ordered list, I think you want

<xsl:sequence select="$nodelist[index-of($nodelist,$mynode)-1]

This assumes that it is node that $mynode occurs exactly once, otherwise you'd need to add some error checking and fallback.

David