[xsl] Antenna House FO formatter 5.3 for Mac, installation issue

Subject: [xsl] Antenna House FO formatter 5.3 for Mac, installation issue
From: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen" <cmsmcq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:37:49 -0600
I wonder if any readers of this list have experience running version
of the Antenna House Formatter 5.3 under Mac OS X.

The other day, I downloaded a copy of the AH Formatter 5.3 installer
for Mac OS X, but I was unable to run the installer to completion.
When I run the .pkg file, I get a conventional software installer
that seems to run normally for a while. There are several steps,
labeled Introduction, Destination Select, Installation Type, and
Installation; they all present some information, wait for a response,
and continue in what looks like a normal way. The Installation step
displays messages about configuring the intallation and writing files,
but then stops. The Summary step then appears with the message

 There were errors with the installation.  You may want
 to try installing again.

 [Large type] The installation failed.

 The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation
 to fail.  Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

I tried installing a second time, but got the same result. So I
downloaded the .dmg file again, in case the first one had been
corrupted somehow in transit. But with the second file I had the same
problem.

Has any reader of this list had this problem? Did you find a solution?

I was able to download the Windows version of 5.3 to another machine
and install it, so the problem appears to be just with the Mac
version, not all versions of 5.3.

Details (in case they help anyone see a pattern): Mac OS X 10.6.8
running on 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Memory, 188 GB free on disk.

I have reported the problem to Antenna House, but have not yet had a
response and don't expect one until the weekend is over. I'm writing
the list in the hopes that someone here can help me sooner.

Thanks!

Michael Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC

p.s. Apologies for cross-posting; desperation knows no law.
* http://www.blackmesatech.com
* http://cmsmcq.com/mib
* http://balisage.net