Re: [xsl] [possibly off topic] Adoption Rates and Future

Subject: Re: [xsl] [possibly off topic] Adoption Rates and Future
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:46:01 -0400
By itself, this is funny:

On 11/3/2011 2:19 AM, Hank Ratzesberger wrote:
Anecdotal to list, apologies, but for me... I was told yesterday by
my previous employer that he can't find anyone to maintain and XML
application and today by my current employer that XML is not seen as
the solution it was thought to be several years ago.

Too bad for the previous employer. There's an interesting problem here.
I think most successful XML initiatives are relying to a significant
degree on growing their own experts, but it's true that not every place
will be able to do that. Why this is, and whether there's something about process- and content-centric systems (like XML systems) that makes it harder to commoditize the expertise than it is with, say, HTML/Javascript/RDBMS, is something to think about.

As for the current employer, this is a howling non sequitur. I agree
that XML is not the solution it was thought to be several years ago.
(Nor was it ever thought to be, by many of us.) But to go from this to
"we're not going to do it" is like saying that because we have not yet
cured cancer, medical science is useless.

Cheers,
Wendell