Re: [xsl] Implementing Conditional Text

Subject: Re: [xsl] Implementing Conditional Text
From: Graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:01:22 -0400
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 01:50:49PM +0200, Wolfgang Laun scripsit:
> The OP's terms "publications XML", "source documents" and "author" convey
> (to me) the image of an authoring system like docbook, where all of
> the output is already in the input. So, there isn't an "output format"
> where alternatives would be placed.

While I may certainly have mistyped, I meant "output formatting", or
better "output processing", rather than "output format".

The output processing being what you do (hopefully in a completely
automated way!) to get the (nominally archival, the thing the people
working on the content search and retain) XML content into the format
("output format"; could be anything, typically print or HTML of some
kind) the customer sees.

Even when you get a provided set of output processing (Docbook or the
DITA toolkit, say) you can generally amend or extend it to handle cases
like a new kind of conditional text.  And since there was mention of not
wanting to sully the DTD, I think it very likely that the DTD at least
is local and entirely under their control, so it's likely the output
processing is, too.

--
Graydon Saunders        XML tools and processes for information delivery.
graydon@xxxxxxxxx