Re: [xsl] Implementing Conditional Text

Subject: Re: [xsl] Implementing Conditional Text
From: Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:24:45 +0200
On 13/06/2012, Graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Even when you get a provided set of output processing (Docbook or the
> DITA toolkit, say) you can generally amend or extend it to handle cases
> like a new kind of conditional text.  And since there was mention of not
> wanting to sully the DTD, I think it very likely that the DTD at least
> is local and entirely under their control, so it's likely the output
> processing is, too.

You wouldn't want to let *authors* amend a Docbook/DITA toolkit, just
for the purpose of providing alternatives between texts addressing,
say, experts vs. dummies? In such a case, there would be two sets of
chunks, most likely unique to a certain document. I can't see any
other place for this than in the source XML.

But if it were for implementing the difference between AE and BE
spelling: yes, then I'd NOT request authors to have both alternatives
in the text they write; the toolkit would be my choice, too.

I think we have entirely different use cases in mind, so I'm content
to leave it at that.

-W