Re: [xsl] Need to render input document as string form of XML in output

Subject: Re: [xsl] Need to render input document as string form of XML in output
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 14:22:26 -0400
Chris,

On 9/11/2012 2:01 PM, Chris Wolf wrote:
Understood. The good news is none of the techniques are particularly
innovative (however well executed), so in the worst case you could simply
lift and adapt.

On the other hand, you may also find that a general solution is rather
tricky -- mainly because one's ideas of what makes a good serialization
(including such questions as how whitespace is rendered and/or inserted) may
be somewhat demanding. For example, do you have to take care with quote
marks appearing in attribute values?
So far, I only need this for diagnostic/logging purposes. i.e. it
doesn't have to be parseable or even well-formed (but that would be
confusing)

This is good: it means you have more flexibility than some.

Are you implying that the xml-2-string.xsl implementation is more robust?

No, not at all. I dare say that Evan has had to get below the surface level of the problem, but by no means does this mean that Hermann hasn't. :-) My point is only that there are issues under the surface, such as representing markup delimiters or CDATA marked sections.

Cheers,
Wendell