Re: [xsl] Text value templates in XSLT 3?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Text value templates in XSLT 3?
From: Florent Georges <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 19:34:47 +0000 (GMT)
"Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex" wrote:

B  Hi,

> Thomas Meinike has pointed [1] me
to your XMLSS presentation on the
> XPath/XSLT/XQuery 3.0 novelties. Among
other things, you presented
> XSLT text value templates [2], a feature that we
didnbt see in the
> current draft spec [3].

B  Oops, good point, I didn't
check the current draft and thought it
was already part of it; I was wrong.

I think that itbs misleading because syntactically it looks like
> XQuery
where an arbitrary sequence may be created by the expression
> inside the
curly braces, while in XSLT the expression should
> evaluate to a mere text
node.

B  I am not sure why you think it should be only for generating text.
Actually an interesting use case I've discussed with Eric van der
Vlist, if
the result of the expression is added to the output tree
(and not its atomized
text value), is to indent properly complex XPath
expressions.

B  Thanks to
the power of XPath 2.0 (and this is going to be even more
true with XPath
3.0), the XPath expressions used in xsl:sequence are
more and more complex,
and need more and more to be properly indented
and edited.B  Which does not
always fit properly being the value of an
attribute (especially if the
attribute goes true an XML parser at some
point, loosing newline
characters).B  Using curly braces will then be
an easy way to solve that
problem (a la XQuery).

B  Regards,

--