Re: [xsl] better way to get the path to a node?

Subject: Re: [xsl] better way to get the path to a node?
From: Graydon <graydon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 21:08:38 -0500
On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 06:50:12PM -0500, Liam R E Quin scripsit:
> On Sat, 2012-12-01 at 08:43 -0500, Graydon wrote:
> >   This is a case where the namespace context is fixed (I'm producing
> >   reports on a big pile of XML documentation, which stays in the
> >   default namespace)
> [...]
>
> >  speed beats almost everything else in this particular case.
>
> You might want to investigate using an XQuery implementation that
> builds an index to the documents - even if you just use it to generate
> temporary documents that you then use to help your XSLT
> transformations.

Which is actually what I'm doing -- use BaseX to load the ~4.5
GB of date I need to search, use XQuery to build a ~100 MB file of
locations and then use that file to search against when generating the
report.

The search time seems to be roughly 30 seconds plus one second per
megabyte of "find stuff in here and check it" content.

Dealing with "no, that isn't going in memory" volumes of XML has
certainly been a learning experience!

-- Graydon