Re: [xsl] Word Ladders as an example of a "Find shortest path between two nodes in a graph" problem

Subject: Re: [xsl] Word Ladders as an example of a "Find shortest path between two nodes in a graph" problem
From: Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 12:54:20 +0100
Hi Hermann,

On 07/12/2012, Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt <STAMMW@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello Wolfgang,
>
> its really good to hear about your results.
> It seems to indicate that XSLT seems to be really quick in your environment

Linux
MemTotal:        2013668 kB
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9600  @ 2.80GHz
bogomips        : 5581.98
jdk1.6.0_23
saxonhe9-2-0-2j

You C timings indicate that your system is a little faster, but not much.

> In my C implementation I was sloppy, not only the initEdges was of
> quadratic
> complexity, but also BFS itself.

I saw that.

> In the night I made the code really linear (by making use of perfect hash
> function with uninitialized array safely).

See below. - This hash technique limits you to a maximum word length
6, but I guess a more general hash wouldn't slow you down much.

> Since you seem to have a pretty fast system, may you please determine the
> XSLT time needed to go from "anyone" to "chinik" in 47 steps?
> As you can see below that 6 letter problem completed in 0.4s (5q in 0.3s).

# XSLT/Dimitre #1: 18.90s
# XSLT/Wolfgang: 1.70s
# Java/Wolfgang: 0.45s  (finds *all* ladders)
# C/Hermann: 0.58s
# C/Hermann, faster Hash-F: 0.49s

A faster hash function with a smaller Pool (for array V) is:
#define POOL (26*26*26*26*26*26)
#define D(c)((c&0x1f)-1)
#define I(W)  (((((D(W[0])*26 + D(W[1]))*26 + D(W[2]&0x1f))*26 +
D(W[3]))*26 + D(W[4]))*26 + D(W[5])

For adequate comparison C/Java I excluded reading the word file from
timing in the Java program.

> On your question:
> If your solution really comes into subsecond range, I would choose XSLT.
> But if a C solution on bigger combinatorial complexity problems would
> outperform a XSLT solution, I would go with that, at least for the compute
> intense part component.

Preceding comparisons haven't even included the time it takes to
create the graph, which, for XSLT, is done with a separate program
producing the XML bundling a word with its immediate neighbours. OK,
so this only needs to be done once, but your C and my Java program do
this "on the fly". For XSLT, the additional time (using saxon's -t) is
4.9 (Dimitre) or 2.1 (Wolfgang).

The great benefits of XSLT's matching capacity and unsurpassed XML
processing capabilities just can't be employed with this kind of
problem.

Cheers
Wolfgang

> [...]
>>

>> Mit besten Gruessen / Best wishes,
>>
>> Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt
>> Level 3 support for XML Compiler team and Fixpack team lead
>> WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliances
>> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/HermannSW/
>> https://twitter.com/#!/HermannSW/
>> IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH
>> Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
>> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dirk Wittkopp
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen
>> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294
>>

>> |------------>
>> | From:      |
>> |------------>
>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>>   |Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>> |------------>
>> | To:        |
>> |------------>
>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>>   |xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>> |------------>
>> | Date:      |
>> |------------>
>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>>   |12/06/2012 05:50 PM
>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>> |------------>
>> | Subject:   |
>> |------------>
>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>
>>   |Re: [xsl] Word Ladders as an example of a "Find shortest path between
> two
>> nodes in a graph" problem                                       |
>>
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
>

>> Herman,
>>
>> That I have initially used a not probably the most efficient algorithm
>> / implementation, shouldn't be used to make general conclusions about
>> the appropriateness of using XSLT in solving a particular class of
>> problems.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dimitre

>>> Agreed, nice XSLT solution, but not fast.
>>>
>>> This simple C program does find the longest path (35) to angry in a
>>> second (on a W520 Thinkpad) based on Dimitie's word list of length 5:

>>> yacht
>>> pacht
>>> pecht
>>> wecht