Re: [xsl] Reflecting on: csv data to xml

Subject: Re: [xsl] Reflecting on: csv data to xml
From: Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 15:38:34 +0100
On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM, Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Conclusions
>
> Perl's CPAN is a great asset. Certainly, the quality of its offerings varies,
> but the packages are tested and users report on their experience. (Why
> doesn't XSLT have anything like it?)
>
> Ken used a proprietary (?) solution for embedding documentation that can
> be extracted into HTML. Now that's great, but it is a solitary answer to the
> problem. Perl's pod is a somewhat clunky solution but it is supported with
> a rich toolset, along with the Perl distribution. I consider the
> existence of a documentation format that is defined along with the
> language as "state of
> the art" and essential for sustainable SW development.
>
> XSLT is "special purpose" for XML handling and consequently easy to use,
> but it isn't better than the average language for string processing.

Caveat emptor - I have not followed the thread closely.

I was recently tempted to consider sed/awk (always go for the simplest
thing that would work is my motto) vs XSLT/XQuery for some regexing.

Ultimately the determining factor that decided against it was the
heterogeneity it would have introduced into the solution space - if it
were a standalone task (but what is these days) I would have done it.
If I'm not doing the rest of the processing in Perl or a close
relative then no.