Re: [xsl] Reflecting on: csv data to xml

Subject: Re: [xsl] Reflecting on: csv data to xml
From: Wolfgang Laun <wolfgang.laun@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:41:58 +0200
On 30/06/2013, Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-06-30 at 09:49 +0200, Wolfgang Laun wrote:
>
>> XSLT is "special purpose" for XML handling and consequently easy to use,
>> but it isn't better than the average language for string processing.
>
> "better" is subjective, or at least contextual.

You shouldn't judge things from a point of individual experience, or
with a certain problem in mind. I was trying to compare the elementary
quality of the available functions and statements.

> A strength of XML is
> that you can do text processing even if you do not consider yourself to
> be a "hard-core programmer". For many such people it's easier to work in
> XSLT than in Perl or Python.

*Serious* text processing isn't for amateurs, no matter which language.

> Which Perl module did you use to write XML?

XML::Writer, which is purely accidental, since I didn't have to do
this ever before. (This is not the place to discuss CPAN modules - I
found one or two things I'd do otherwise.)

Wolfgang