Re: [xsl] [Musing] User Preference for Functional Programming

Subject: Re: [xsl] [Musing] User Preference for Functional Programming
From: Hank Ratzesberger <xml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 12:11:57 -0700
Hi Liam,

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxx> wrote:

>>   /award/awardID/awardContractID/modNumber=FpdsInfo:modNum
>
>  Your second, by the way, would be
> greatly improved with spaces around the = sign.

Agreed.  This is a line from a java Resource file.  i think the space
may be significant.

In any case, developers use Eclipse, which as a resource file editor,
so users can do this through a table view and editor.  I suppose I
should have showed
everyone a screenshot of the editor.

So, the task is actually to update a rather complex XML file, which we
deliver to a
third party repository.

And yet programmers decided that xpath was more difficult to maintain than
object notation.  And I think this is a common complaint. But I have never
heard anyone complain that they can't understand a Unix file path, e.g.

Perhaps I should approach the JAXB group with your .get / .set idea.
They are about 90% there already, only its necessary to pair an object
with a document through a binder, but their object could provide a method
that accepts a path option instead.

https://jaxb.java.net/nonav/2.2.7/docs/api/javax/xml/bind/Binder.html

Cheers,
Hank