Re: [xsl] Design of XML so that it may be efficiently stream-processed

Subject: Re: [xsl] Design of XML so that it may be efficiently stream-processed
From: Ivan Shmakov <oneingray@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:08:39 +0000

[b&]

 > But in so many instances, this is the pattern that makes XML such a
 > good replacement for binary / proprietary files because the document
 > becomes self-contained.  For example, when I worked with a
 > seismologist b all the data is just time series points of
 > acceleration.  Only until you add the instrument, sensitivity/scale,
 > geo-location, can it be usefully integrated with other records for
 > the same event.

	JFTR, therebre various binary formats doing essentially the same
	(check, e. g., the varieties of HDF [1], prescribed by NASA for
	EOS [2] missions), /and/ also that there /is/ a binary variety
	of XML [3].  (Well, a format that is entirely isomorphic to XML,
	yet built atop of a binary encoding, anyway.)

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_Data_Format
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Observing_System
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Infoset

--