Re: [xsl] Design of XML so that it may be efficiently stream-processed

Subject: Re: [xsl] Design of XML so that it may be efficiently stream-processed
From: Richard Fozzard - NOAA Affiliate <richard.fozzard@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:55:29 -0700
Are we talking about using xlink attributes in a primary XML document to point to a reusable chunk of external XML?

If so, this is an approach we are using in NOAA for complex ISO-19115 scientific metadata documents. Any XSLT that processes the primary XML can choose to 'resolve' the xlink (i.e. retrieve it from the xlink:href URL) -- or ignore it, if not relevant to the transform task at hand.

This approach has significantly reduced the size of our XML archives, and serves to modularize and simplify maintenance of the many thousands of XML files we host (or generate on demand).

But I've no idea how using xlink resolving might impact streaming?

Just my $0.02
--Rich

Richard Fozzard, Computer Scientist
  Geospatial Metadata at NGDC: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/metadata

Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
Univ. Colorado & NOAA National Geophysical Data Center, Enterprise Data Systems
325 S. Broadway, Skaggs 1B-305, Boulder, CO 80305
Office: 303-497-6487, Cell: 303-579-5615, Email: richard.fozzard@xxxxxxxx