Re: [xsl] Random number generation : requirements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Random number generation : requirements
From: "Eliot Kimber ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 17:22:20 -0000
I recently used the EXSLT random number extension in Saxon to generate
random numbers within a range from 0 to say 20,000 in order to randomly
select items from a document (in my case, words from the standard Linux
words spellcheck dictionary, made into a simple XML document for ease of
XSLT access).

This was the relevant code I used:

<xsl:variable name="words" as="document-node()"
select="document('data-files/words.xml')"/>
  <xsl:variable name="wordCount" as="xs:integer"
select="count($words/*/*)"/>

<xsl:variable name="seed"
select="(seconds-from-dateTime(current-dateTime()) + .) * 1000"
as="xs:double"/>

<xsl:variable name="wordIndex" as="xs:integer"
        select="if ($doRandom)
        then xs:integer(exslt-random:random-sequence(1, $seed) *
$wordCount)
        else ."
        />

The seed construction is a little weak but sufficient for my needs since I
wouldn't be running the process twice within the same second.

Of course, being able to get a truly random seed would be nice but
pseudo-random is usually good enough.

Cheers,

Eliot

bbbbb