Re: [xsl] Re: [xquery-talk] Random number generation : requirements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: [xquery-talk] Random number generation : requirements
From: "Michael Sokolov msokolov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 22:48:29 -0000
On 5/6/2014 6:41 PM, Michael Kay mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
My policy on side effects is: all expressions containing side effects are going to be evaluated in order

I do something like that in Saxon as well. But I don't attempt to define what "in order" means; for example, the order in which different global variables are evaluated. Doing this in the spec would be much more problematic.

You don't think it would be reasonable to say something to the effect that the order in which non-deterministic expressions are evaluated is non-deterministic (ie implementation-defined)? Certainly it would be reasonable enough in the case of a random number generator. Although I suppose if you are going to seed it, you would like the seed to effect the random numbers that are generated.

-Mike