Re: [xsl] Re: [xquery-talk] Random number generation : requirements

Subject: Re: [xsl] Re: [xquery-talk] Random number generation : requirements
From: "Olivier JEULIN olivier.jeulin@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 08:59:57 -0000
xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> [b&]
> Personally I would be more interested in having a good random number
> source for generating strong UUIDs, at the moment we just have an
> extension function which is a non-deterministic wrapper around some
> Java -

http://www.exist-db.org/exist/apps/fundocs/index.html?action=search&type=name
&q=uuid

Ah, yes, I forgot this use case.
It would be nice to have a way to generate UUID:
- in a predictabe way, with a controlled seed, to get reproducible UUIDs
in tests
- with a unique seed for real life usage

On 6 May 2014 18:51, Christian GrC<n <christian.gruen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [b&] Is there any
> particular reason why the official random functions need to be
> deterministic?

Well, yes, having reproducible randomness is useful during development and
testing :)